Main Accused in Dibrugarh University Ragging case Rahul Chetry Surrenders

The main accused in the Dibrugarh University ragging incident, Rahul Chetry, has surrendered himself at Tinsukia’s Lekhapani Police Station on Monday morning. Chetry was on the run for a long time and he surrendered before the police today early morning. 

The Padmanath Gohain Baruah hostel ragging incident took place on November 26-27.

Doctors said the post-graduate student was admitted with a vertebral fracture on November 27 and was operated on four days later. His family said he was still traumatised by the ragging that led him to attempt suicide.

Four students have been rusticated for three years by the university and another 18 expelled for their alleged involvement in the case. Three wardens of the ‘Padmanath Gohain Baruah Chatra Nivas’ (PNGBCN hostel) have also been suspended

 The varsity authorities had earlier rusticated at least 18 students for their alleged role in ragging a student who had later jumped off a two-storey building of the university hostel and was later hospitalised.

The university had appointed a high-level 5-member committee, which was tasked with investigating any oversights and the application of anti-ragging policies throughout the institution.

 It has requested extra time to deliver its report. In the past few days, the committee has heard from the vice-chancellor of the university, the registrar, three wardens of the PNGB Hostel, and 11 accused students.

Rahul Chetry has released a video stating, “I am not related to this incident. It is surprising to me why my name is being brought in.

It is very unfortunate incident what has happened with Anand Sharma. I pray for his well being.

I was not absconding because I am guilty but because I was very afraid that the way I had to face media trial, the way I was made a murderer, an ulfa cadre by social media.

 I want some security. That is my right. I hope justice is delivered to Anand. I hope justice is delivered to me as well.”

However speaking to the media, victim Anand Sharma said , “He was the one to first hit me. He will now face the results of his deeds.” His family has also now shown their hope for justice to be delivered to Anand now that the main accused Rahul Chetry has surrendered.

The incident has also now turned political as the prime accused Rahul Chetry was a student leader of Satra Mukti Sangram Samiti, the student wing of Raijor Dal, led by one of the main political enemies of the chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma – Akhil Gogoi.

The Satra Mukti Sangram Samiti has now suspended Rahul Chetry from the party. He was serving as the general secretary of the part and had earlier gone to jail during CAA protest for his slogans against the act and the government.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest

Why Investors Make Irrational Decisions: A Behavioral Economics Perspective .

Author Name : Nishchaydeep Singh Kharbanda Economics has a strangely convenient starting point: the rational individual. Give a person enough information, let them compare the costs and benefits of their choices, and, theoretically, they should choose whatever maximizes their expected utility. The model is elegant. The problem is that humans are not.Investors panic. They become […]

Read More
Latest

Zohran Mamdani Attends India Day Parade in Queens, Calls Himself New York City’s First Indian-American Mayor

Zohran Mamdani Joins India Day Celebrations in Queens New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani attended the Queens India Day Parade in Floral Park as Indian-American communities across the New York metropolitan area came together to celebrate India’s 80th Independence Day. Mamdani’s appearance at the celebration drew attention because of his historic position as the first […]

Read More
Latest

Trump Welcomes Saudi Arabia-Turkey-Pakistan Defence Pact as ‘Big, Bold’ First Step

Trump Backs the New Defence Agreement US President Donald Trump has welcomed the newly signed defence agreement between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan, describing the development as a “big, bold and important first step” towards stronger regional security. Trump’s comments have drawn fresh international attention to the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement and its possible impact […]

Read More